GSDA:Importing EPA Land Use Data into WMS
- Start WMS.
- Select Import... from the File menu.
- Choose "Feature objects polygons Shapefile (*.shp)" from the Files of Type list.
- Select the land use shapefile and click the Open button.
- Click the Coverage Options... button at the top left of the dialog.
- Click the New button in the Coverages dialog.
- Name the coverage "landuse" or some other descriptive name.
- Select "Land Use" from the Attribute Set drop-down list.
- Click OK to close the Coverages dialog.
- Click OK to close the Import Shapefile Data dialog.
The land use polygons should now appear in WMS. You can now use this data, in conjunction with soil type, to compute a NRCS/SCS composite curve number for your watershed. The last thing you will need is a land use table to relate land uses and soil types with curve numbers. Refer to the Tip on how to create a land use table for composite Curver Number calculations.