GSDA:Importing EPA Soil Type Data into WMS
Before importing the soil type shapefile into WMS, be sure that you have joined the Hydrologic Soil Group field from the "statsgoc.dbf" file to the MUID field of the "statsgo.shp" file with ArcView. If you're not sure what this means, click here to find out how to do this.
- Start WMS.
- Select Import... from the File menu,
- Choose "Feature objects polygons Shapefile (*.shp)" from the Files of Type list,
- Select the land use shapefile and click the Open button,
- Click the Coverage Options... button at the top left of the dialog,
- Click the New button in the Coverages dialog,
- Name the coverage "soil type," or some other descriptive name,
- Select "Soil Type" from the Attribute Set drop-down list,
- Click OK to close the Coverages dialog,
- Click OK to close the Import Shapefile Data dialog.
The soil type polygons should now appear in WMS, entirely covering your watershed. You can now use this data, in conjunction with land use, to compute a NRCS/SCS composite curve number and/or a composite runoff coefficient for your watershed.