WMS:GSSHA Join SSURGO Data
SSURGO (Soil Survey Geographic database) are digital soils data produced and distributed by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) of the National Cartography and Geospatial Center (NCGC). The database contains digital soil type and distribution information for 95% of the counties in the United States. Information covered includes soil characteristics, soil properties, and addresses limits, risks, and suitability for various uses.
SSURGO files can be downloaded using the USDA Web Soil Survey site.
The DBF files associated with SSURGO shapefiles contain the following attributes: AREASYMBOL, SPATIALVER, MUSYM, and MUKEY. Use the Join NRCS Data command to join more attributes which can then be mapped to the soil coverage. The DBF file is not changed by this process. This allows the DBF and associated shapefiles to be joined to multiple projects.
The Join NRCS Data command opens three TXT files located in the SSURGO tabular folder containing the downloaded SSURGO data:
- "comp.txt" – Contains HYDGRP data.
- "chtextur.txt" – Contains TEXTURE data.
- "chorizon.txt" – Contains KSAT, MOISTURE, FIELDCAP, and WILTINGPT data.
Join NRCS Data Dialog
The Join NRCS Data dialog is accessed by right-clicking on a shapefile in the Project Explorer and selecting Join NRCS Data.... The dialog has the following options and sections:
- Join Soil Texture – On by default, this option joins the soil texture data.
- Join HYDGRP – On by default, this options joins the HYDGRP data.
- Fill blank values – Turn on this option to enable editing of the spreadsheet.
- Compute hydraulic conductivity using equivalent conductance equation
When Fill blank values is turned on, the spreadsheet will have two rows visible:
- Soil Group – A drop-down listing all available soil groups in the SSURGO data.
- Soil texture – A drop-down list of all available SSURGO soil textures in the SSURGO data.
Because there are often missing fields in the data, this allows WMS to provide a default value to be assigned to missing fields to avoid blanks. The defaults for each of the drop-downs are the most often occurring in the SSURGO data.
After cleaning and filling the data, the attributes are then matched up with their corresponding MUKEY and joined to the GIS layer. If more than one entry exists for an MUKEY, the corresponding parameters that occur most frequently are joined to the layer.
Some SSURGO data may contain hybrid HYDGRP classes, such as "A/B." Because WMS does not support hybrid HYDGRP fields, the entry will be changed to first group listed. For example, if the entry is "B/D," WMS will change the entry to "B."
Using Soil Type Data with GSSHA
- ^ "Web Soil Survey". USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service. https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/WebSoilSurvey.aspx. Retrieved on May 1, 2019.
- ^ "Mapping:Assigning spatially distributed parameters". GSSHA Wiki. http://gsshawiki.com/index.php?title=Mapping:Assigning_spatially_distributed_parameters. Retrieved on May 1, 2019.
- ^ "ssurgoImport.xls". Aquaveo, LLC. https://wms.aquaveo.com/ssurgo.zip. Retrieved on May 1, 2019.
|XMS Wiki Links||Calibration (Automated • Manual • Output) • Channel Routing • Contaminants • Digital Dams • Embankment Arcs • Feature Objects (Arcs • Nodes • Polygons) • File Types • Groundwater • Groups • Hydraulic Structures • Job Control • Join SSURGO Data • Mapping Tables • Maps • Menu • Model Linkage • Multiple Simulations • Nutrients • Observations • Output Control • Overland Soil Erosion • Pipe and Node Parameters • Precipitation • Radar Rainfall • Save GSSHA Project File • Smooth GSSHA Streams • Snowmelt • Solution (Analysis • Data)|
|Related Tools||MWBM Wizard • Using Soil Type Data with GSSHA|
|GSSHA Wiki External Links||GSSHA Wiki: Overview • Primer • User's Manual • Tutorials|
WMS – Watershed Modeling System
|Modules:||Terrain Data • Drainage • Map • Hydrologic Modeling • River • GIS • 2D Grid • 2D Scatter|
|Models:||CE-QUAL-W2 • GSSHA • HEC-1 • HEC-HMS • HEC-RAS • HSPF • MODRAT • NSS • OC Hydrograph • OC Rational • Rational • River Tools • Storm Drain • SMPDBK • SWMM • TR-20 • TR-55|
|Toolbars:||Modules • Macros • Units • Digitize • Static Tools • Dynamic Tools • Drawing • Get Data Tools|