Rivers, Lakes, and Seas
WebGIS provides data in shapefile and standard DLG formats
ESRI Census TIGER 1995
ESRI and the U.S. Census Bureau offer hydrographic data in shapefile format for ArcView or ARC/INFO
The USGS/EPA offers hydrographic data for each CU (cataloging unit) in the US in either ESRI/ARC or USGS/SDTS format.
Hydrographic Waterbody Overview
By definition, hydrography is the study and survey of rivers, streams, creeks, springs, wells, ponds, lakes, reservoirs, oceans, seas, bays and estuaries with respect to their tides, flow characteristics, and navigability. Much of the available hydrographic information is in a format compatible with a GIS such as ArcView. Locating streams and other water bodies may be essential in creating a good model.
Hydrographic Waterbody Tips
- How do I obtain hydrographic data from WebGIS?
- How do I obtain hydrographic data from the USGS/EPA?
- How do I obtain hydrographic data from ESRI Census TIGER 1995?
- How do I decompress data files?
- How do I import hydrographic data into WMS?
- How do I import a standard DLG file into WMS?