SMS:Map Project Explorer
In the Project Explorer, the Map data folder houses all of the coverages that are controlled by the Map module. The Map data folder can hold as many coverages as desired, and can also generate sub folders. Coverages are considered 'active' when clicked on in the Project Explorer, and the name of the coverage becomes bold while the coverage icon becomes green. When a new project is created in SMS, a coverage will be automatically created. This coverage is named "Area Property", and it will be set to the default area property type unless otherwise specified in the Preferences dialog.
Map Module Right-Click Menus
The following Project Explorer right-click menus are available when the mouse right-click is performed on a Map module item.
Map Module Root Folder Right-Click Menus
Right-clicking on the Map module root folder in the Project Explorer invokes an options menu with the following options:
- New coverage – Opens the New Coverage dialog.
- New Folder – Creates a new folder under the Map module root folder.
- Clear Coverages – Deletes all coverages.
- Display Options – Opens the Display Options dialog.
- Collapse all – Collapses the project explorer tree under the map module root folder.
- Expand all – Expands all entries in the project explorer tree under the map module root folder.
- Check all – Selects all entries in the project explorer tree under the map module root folder as visible.
- Uncheck all – Deselects all entries in the project explorer tree under the map module root folder making them invisible.
Coverage Item Right-Click Menus
Right-clicking on a Map item in the Project Explorer invokes an options menu with the following module specific options:
- Duplicate – Adds another coverage exactly identical to the existing coverage clicked on.
- Rename – Specifies a new name for the coverage. Note that apostrophes and special characters are not allowed and may cause problems in some model runs if used.
- Convert – Converts coverage to a 2D grid, mesh, 2D UGrid, or scatter object. In order to convert to a 2D grid the coverage must be of a type that is associated with 2D grids and include a grid frame. In order to convert to a mesh or UGrid, the coverage must be compatible with mesh generation and include at least one polygon. All coverages can be converted to a scatter set. Selecting this command invokes the Map → Scatter dialog.
- Export – Brings up the Export Coverage dialog which allows exporting feature objects as a shapefile.
- Add Arcs to Mesh – This command was added in SMS 12.0. When this command is invoked, any selected arcs in the coverage are forced directly into the active mesh and a nodestring is created following each arc. If no arcs are selected when this command is invoked, all the arcs in the selected coverage are forced into the mesh. This operation requires that all nodes and vertices on the arc lie inside the mesh it is being forced into. If this is not the case, the arc is skipped. The arc can leave the mesh and reenter, but all vertices must be inside the mesh.
- Snap Mesh to Arcs – Changes mesh nodes to match arc nodes and vertices. Brings up the Snap Mesh to Arcs dialog. Note that elevation values must be re-interpolated to the mesh after using this command.
- Projection – Sets the projection of the coverage.
- Reprojection – Reprojects the projection of the coverage.
- Metadata – Annotates the coverage.
- Zoom to Coverage – Zooms to area where coverage is within the graphic window.
- Type – Change the coverage type.
New Folder Right-Click Menus
Right-clicking on a new folder item in the Project Explorer invokes an options menu with the following options:
- New Folder – Creates a new sub folder under the new folder.
- Delete – Deletes the new folder.
- Rename – Allows renaming a folder.
Right-click options for the coverage may also include options applicable only to the specific coverage type.
SMS – Surface-water Modeling System
|Modules:||1D Grid • Cartesian Grid • Curvilinear Grid • GIS • Map • Mesh • Particle • Quadtree • Raster • Scatter • UGrid|
|General Models:||FVCOM • Generic • PTM|
|Coastal Models:||ADCIRC • BOUSS-2D • CGWAVE • CMS-Flow • CMS-Wave • GenCade • STWAVE • WAM|
|Riverine/Estuarine Models:||ADH • HEC-RAS • HYDRO AS-2D • RMA2 • RMA4 • SRH-2D • TUFLOW • TUFLOW FV|
|Aquaveo • SMS Tutorials • SMS Workflows|