SMS:Model Coverage File
A Model Coverage File is a file that stores all the geometry and attributes associated with model specific coverage in SMS. Examples of these coverages include (but are not limited to):
- 3D Bridge
- ADCIRC coverages
- ADH boundary conditions, materials, and sediment materials coverages
- CMS-Flow coverages
- EWN Features coverage
- Sediment Volume Management
- Generic model Materials coverage
- SRH-2D coverages
- STWAVE coverages
- TUFLOW FV coverages
In the dynamic model interface approach, model interfaces rely on Map Module coverages with custom attributes. These attributes are NOT stored in the "map" file that has been traditionally used by SMS. Instead, the model specific data is stored as data components in the project. This means that opening a map file from one project into another project will not transfer the attributes associated with the coverages in that map file. Only the geometry will be imported and SMS will give a message that the coverage type has been converted to a generic coverage type (Area Property). Since this functionality is very useful, starting with SMS version 13.2 SMS has the option to export a single map coverage as a Model Coverage file (with a "*.dmc" extension). This file contains all of the feature objects that were in the map coverage, as well as the coverage type and all associated attributes.
To export a coverage as a DMC file, complete the following:
- Right-click on a coverage in the Project Explorer and select the Export command.
- In the Export Coverage dialog, change Save as type to be "SMS model coverage (*.dmc)".
- Save the DMC file.
- Note: Nearly all attributes in the coverage will be exported. The exception to this rule is that external files referenced by the coverage are not embedded in the model coverage file. An example of this would be an external tidal WSE source in a CMS-Flow BC coverage. The attribute would include the link to the file, but if the "dmc" file is read into a project on a different machine, the external file would not be in the same location, and therefore the association is automatically maintained.
SMS – Surface-water Modeling System
|Modules:||1D Grid • Cartesian Grid • Curvilinear Grid • GIS • Map • Mesh • Particle • Quadtree • Raster • Scatter • UGrid|
|General Models:||3D Structure • FVCOM • Generic • PTM|
|Coastal Models:||ADCIRC • BOUSS-2D • CGWAVE • CMS-Flow • CMS-Wave • GenCade • STWAVE • WAM|
|Riverine/Estuarine Models:||AdH • HEC-RAS • HYDRO AS-2D • RMA2 • RMA4 • SRH-2D • TUFLOW • TUFLOW FV|
|Aquaveo • SMS Tutorials • SMS Workflows|