| This contains information about functionality available starting at SMS version 13.0.
The content may not apply to other versions.
FLO-2D is a 2D hydrological-hydraulic dynamic flood model that simulates channel flow, unconfined overland flow, and street flow over complex topography. FLO-2D can simulate Newtonian and no-Newtonian flows over complex topography and roughness.
SMS can be used to generated geometry for using with the FLO-2D software.
Starting in SMS 12.2, FLO-2D uses a simulation process. SMS can run multiple FLO-2D simulations using the same components. To create a new simulation, right-click in the Project Explorer and select New Simulation | FLO-2D. Components can then be linked to simulations by dragging the components under the simulation or by right-clicking on the component item and using the Link To submenu.
Components for the FLO-2D simulation include the following:
- Cartesian Grid
FLO-2D Simulation Menu
Right-clicking on a FLO-2D simulation provides a menu with the standard simulation menu commands and the following commands specific to FLO-2D:
- Model Check – Launches the model checker to look for problems with the simulation setup.
- Export FLO-2D – Exports the *.boundary and *.grid files containing the grid and boundary information that will be converted during the simulation run.
- Launch FLO-2D – Brings up the FLO-2D model wrapper and starts the simulation run. At the end of the simulation run, FLO-2D will have created a basic input data files for use in the FLO-2D program.
- Save, Export, and Launch FLO-2D – Completes the processes of saving the SMS project, exporting the FLO-2D files, and launching the FLO-2D simulation run.
A FLO-2D simulation in SMS can generate a number of files for use in the FLO-2D program. The following files are generated:
- *.boundary – Contains the boundary data generated in SMS. This file is used to generate the other files and must be created before running the FLO-2D simulation.
- *.grid – Contains the 2D grid data generated in SMS. This file is used to generate the other files and must be created before running the FLO-2D simulation.
- CADPTS.DAT – Basic input file for FLO-2D. Topographic file containing floodplain grid point data.
- CONT.DAT – Basic input file for FLO-2D. Contains system control data for the FLO-2D project.
- FPLAIN.DAT – Basic input file for FLO-2D. Topographic file containing floodplain grid element data.
- TOLER.DAT – Basic input file for FLO-2D. Contains numerical stability control data.
SMS – Surface-water Modeling System
|Modules:||1D Grid • Cartesian Grid • Curvilinear Grid • GIS • Map • Mesh • Particle • Quadtree • Raster • Scatter|
|General Models:||FVCOM • Generic • PTM • TUFLOW FV|
|Coastal Models:||ADCIRC • BOUSS-2D • CGWAVE • CMS-Flow • CMS-Wave • GenCade • STWAVE • WAM|
|Riverine/Estuarine Models:||ADH • FESWMS • HEC-RAS • HYDRO AS-2D • RMA2 • RMA4 • SRH-2D • Steering • TUFLOW|
|Aquaveo • SMS Tutorials • SMS Workflows|