From XMS Wiki
The toolbar for the WMS Map module has a variety of tools useful for editing and creating objects within that module. The tools are described below.
- Select Feature Objects
- The Select Feature Objects tool is a generic selection tool that can be used in place of many other Select tools to select arcs, polygons, points, etc., without having to change the tool. This tool can be used to select via a single-click, a double-click, or by dragging a selection box.
- Select Feature Point/Node
- The Select Feature Point/Node tool is used to select existing points or nodes. A selected point/node can be deleted, moved to a new location, or operated on by one of the commands in the Feature Objects menu. The coordinates of selected points/nodes can also be edited using the Edit Window. Double-clicking on a point or node with this tool brings up the Point or Node Attribute dialog.
- Select Feature Vertex
- The Select Feature Vertex tool is used to select vertices on an arc. Once selected, a vertex can be deleted, moved to a new location, or operated on by one of the commands in the Feature Objects menu. The coordinates of selected vertex can also be edited using the Edit Window.
- Select Feature Arc
- The Select Feature Arc tool is used to select arcs for operations such as deletion, redistribution of vertices, or building polygons. Double-clicking on an arc with this tool brings up the Arc Attribute dialog.
- Create Feature Point
- The Create Feature Point tool is used to interactively create new points using the cursor. A new point is created for each location the cursor is clicked on in the Graphics Window. A background drawing grid can be turned on using the Grid Options command in the Display menu to aid in the placement of points.
- Create Feature Vertex
- The Create Feature Vertex tool is used to interactively create new vertices along an existing arc, to add more detail. A new vertex is created for each location the cursor is clicked that it is within 10 screen pixels of an existing arc. Once the vertex is created, it can be repositioned with the Select Feature Vertex tool.
- Create Feature Arc
- The Create Feature Arc tool is used to interactively create new arcs. An arc is created by clicking once on the location where the arc is to begin, clicking once to define the location of each of the vertices in the interior of the arc, and double-clicking at the location of the end node of the arc.
- As arcs are created, it is often necessary for the beginning or ending node of the arc to coincide with an existing node. If clicking on an existing node (within a given pixel tolerance) when beginning or ending an arc, that node is used to define the arc node as opposed to creating a new node. Also, if clicking on a vertex of another arc while creating an arc, that vertex is converted to a node and the node is used in the new arc. If an existing point is clicked on while creating an arc, the point is converted to a vertex, unless it is the beginning or ending location of an arc, in which case it is converted to a node.
- While creating an arc, it is not uncommon to make a mistake by clicking on the wrong location. In such cases, hitting the Backspace key backs up the arc by one vertex. The Esc key can also be used to abort the entire arc creation process at any time.
- The new arc type is determined from the Feature Arc Type dialog, accessed from the Attributes command in the Feature Objects menu. The Feature Object Type dialog that comes up when selecting the Attributes command is determined by the currently active tool. For example if the Select Arc or Create Arc tools are active the Feature Arc Type dialog comes up, whereas if the Select Polygon tool is active the Feature Polygon Type dialog comes up.
- When creating stream arcs, the points/vertices must be connected from downstream to upstream as the arc is entered. Stream arcs are drawn with an arrow pointing in the downstream direction and can be reversed after creation using the Reverse Directions command.
- Select Feature Polygon
- The Select Feature Polygon tool is used to select previously created polygons for operations such as deletion, assigning attributes, etc. A polygon is selected by clicking anywhere in the interior of the polygon. Double-clicking on a polygon with this tool brings up the Polygon Attributes dialog.
- Select Feature Line Branch
- The Select Feature Line Branch tool can be used to automatically select all arcs of a branch without having to select each individually. This is particularly useful when locally redistributing vertices along a stream branch. A branch is selected by selecting any arc in the branch. WMS searches down the stream from the selected arc until the next branching node is encountered, and then adds all arcs upstream from that node to the list of selected arcs. While it is intended that it be used for a set of arcs that represent a stream network, in fact it will work for any set of connected arcs.
WMS – Watershed Modeling System
|Modules:||Terrain Data • Drainage • Map • Hydrologic Modeling • River • GIS • 2D Grid • 2D Scatter|
|Models:||CE-QUAL-W2 • GSSHA • HEC-1 • HEC-HMS • HEC-RAS • HSPF • MODRAT • NSS • OC Hydrograph • OC Rational • Rational • River Tools • Storm Drain • SMPDBK • SWMM • TR-20 • TR-55|
|Toolbars:||Modules • Macros • Units • Digitize • Static Tools • Dynamic Tools • Drawing • Get Data Tools|