SMS:What's New in SMS 10.1
We are excited about the new features in SMS 10.1. We have focused on updating portions of SMS which will benefit everyone. We have added new dataset creation options in the new Dataset Toolbox. We have added numerous new features for working with TINS in the scatter module including breaklines and several new import/conversion options. A full list of new features can be found below:
SMS now distributes a 64-bit version. This version can access far more memory than the 32-bit version can so it is useful for working with large sets of data. The installation is the same for the 32 and 64 bit versions of SMS. You can choose the version to install if you have a 64-bit operating system. Both versions can be installed by running the installation twice. The performance (speed) of this version is basically the same as the 32-bit version. This version requires a 64-bit operating system (Vista-64 bit recommended).
- Dataset Toolbox – New dataset toolbox has new methods to create datasets as well as organizing some of the existing options. The new features include: creating comparison datasets, sampling datasets at specific times, computing derivatives or changes through time, and filtering datasets.
- Annotations – New annotation tools allow the creation of scale bars, North Arrows, screen space images for Logos, as well as rectangles, ovals, and lines in either screen or world space.
- Data Calculator – The data calculator now includes functions to take the average, minimum, or maximum of all the time steps of a dataset and is included in the dataset toolbox.
- KMZ Filmloop Export – In addition to saving raster or vector data from SMS, you can now create animations that can be opened in Google Earth.
- Graphical Selection Tools – The modifier keys for graphical selection tools have been expanded and made consistent.
- Projections – SMS now includes many more GIS projection systems (previously referred to as Coordinate Systems) and can use projection (prj) files associated with images and GIS files. SMS can also create projection files.
- Image Projection Changes – Images now store their native projection and will automatically be displayed in the working projection.
- Measure Tool – SMS now includes a simple tool for measuring distances.
- Web Menu - New menu for accessing importing data from the web.
- Model Priority – There is a new preference that allows the user to specify the priority to launch numeric models.
- Vector Display Options – Vectors can now have their center or tip positions at the node or grid location being drawn at. This can be useful to prevent vector arrows to appear on land.
- Stick Plots – Vectors can now be displayed on specified points from a map coverage at points or along vertices on an arc. This can be useful for comparing data obtained along a transect.
- Save As Image – You can now save the contents of the graphics window to a jpeg or bitmap by doing a file save as and changing the save type.
- Remote desktop – In SMS 10.0, the screen would go blank if you started a remote session to look at an already running instance of SMS. This has been resolved.
- Edge Swap – You can now set a general preference to turn on/off automatic refreshing after an edge swap.
Module Specific Improvements
Cartesian Grid Module
- Interpolate Bathymetry to cells – You can now interpolate new bathymetry to the selected cells in a Cartesian grid without updating the entire grid.
- Smoothing – The smoothing options for a cartesian grid have been expanded to allow smoothing only on a portion of the grid.
- Duplicate Grid – You can duplicate an entire cartesian grid to create a second simulation that can be changed without altering the initial simulation.
- Cartesian Grid mapping – Map to grid attributes are now stored with the grid frames so it is easy to go back and create new grids with modified parameters (such as cell size).
- Transformed Cartesian Grid – You can transform an STWAVE or CMS-WAVE grid to realign it to the directions of the waves.
- Steering Module – The steering module now allows you to choose the grids to use when multiple cartesian grids exist.
- Animating profile plots now supports multiple datasets – (before only the active dataset could be animated)
- Observation Profile Plot – Profile plots now have the ability to plot multiple time steps on a single plot.
- Feature Stamping – Feature stamps now automatically create breaklines appropriately when stamping to a scatter set (TIN).
- Spatial Data Coverage – New coverage type can be used to display compass plots at locations (such as wind velocities/directions).
Scatter Module (TINs)
- Scatter Breaklines – SMS now supports breaklines on scatter sets. Breaklines can be manually created, created from converting Map data (CAD or GIS to Map then scatter), created automatically when using feature stamping, or can be imported using the import wizard.
- Merge Scatter Sets – Merging scattersets can now preserve triangulation of initial scattersets where the scattersets to merge do not overlap.
- CAD/GIS faces to triangles – AutoCAD or ESRI 3D shapefiles with polygons representing faces can be converted directly to scatter triangles. This makes it easy to get AutoCAD or ESRI TIN data (export DWG/DXF or 3D Shapefile format) into SMS without having to retriangulate and fix the triangulation.
- Process Boundary Triangles – This new tool can be used to remove unwanted boundary triangles converted on the edge of the domain.
- Move Scatter Vertices – You can now unlock the scatter set using the vertex menu and move scatter vertices.
- File Import Wizard Additions for breaklines – Breaklines can be imported using the import wizard.
Individual Model Improvements
- CMS-Flow Salinity – CMS-Flow can now calculate salinity.
- CMS-Flow Advanced Cards – This dialog can be used to specify options that are supported within the CMS-Flow model but are not yet part of the SMS interface. Primarily useful for developers.
- CMS-Wave Simplified Formulation – New run mode for CMS-Wave that allows quicker runs for faster preliminary simulations.
- CMS-Wave Structure Types – New structure types with additional parameters that can be provided.
Generic Mesh Model
- 2D Mesh Files (*.2dm) – The generic model interface can now export full curves rather than sampling the curves based upon the time step value.
- STWAVE Time Support – You can now reference input spectra to specific time values or have each spectra independent of time.
- RMA4 Element Loading – You can now add a mass loading directly to individual elements for an RMA4 advection/dispersion simulation.
- TUFLOW ZShape – New coverage type used to modify geometry. It is similar to the geometry modification coverage but has more options including the ability to have the geometry vary with time.
- TUFLOW 2D Flow Constriction Shape coverage – New coverage type used to create 2D structures. These structure can be layered flow constrictions which allow flows both below and above a bridge deck.
- TUFLOW Inlet Database – For urban storm drain models, you can provide curves that describe the amount of flow captured by storm drain inlets based upon the depth of flow in the 2D cells rather than the shape options previously available.
- TUFLOW Network Node SX Additions – 1D nodes can be directly connected to a 2D domain without the need for SX lines or a connection coverage.
- TUFLOW Eddy Viscosity Options – The eddy viscosity used in the model can now be specified as a combination of a fixed eddy viscosity added to a computed smagorinsky viscosity value.
Features No Longer Supported
The models HECRAS and GENESIS are no longer supported in SMS. Our sister program WMS has an interface for HEC-RAS for those who are interested.
The RMA4 interface no longer supports BOD/DO since this functionality does not function correctly in RMA4.
- SMS 10.1.11 - Released January 24, 2011
- SMS 10.1.10 - Released October 25, 2010
- SMS 10.1.9 - Released September 10, 2010
- SMS 10.1.8 - Released July 30, 2010
- SMS 10.1.7 - Released June 17, 2010
- SMS 10.1.6 - Released May 3, 2010
- SMS 10.1.5 - Released March 11, 2010
- SMS 10.1.4 - Released Feb 12, 2010
- SMS 10.1.3 - Released Jan 11, 2010
- SMS 10.1.2 - Released Nov 16, 2009
- SMS 10.1.1 - Released Oct 26, 2009
SMS – Surface-water Modeling System
|Modules:||1D Grid • Cartesian Grid • Curvilinear Grid • GIS • Map • Mesh • Particle • Quadtree • Raster • Scatter • UGrid|
|General Models:||3D Structure • FVCOM • Generic • PTM|
|Coastal Models:||ADCIRC • BOUSS-2D • CGWAVE • CMS-Flow • CMS-Wave • GenCade • STWAVE • WAM|
|Riverine/Estuarine Models:||AdH • HEC-RAS • HYDRO AS-2D • RMA2 • RMA4 • SRH-2D • TUFLOW • TUFLOW FV|
|Aquaveo • SMS Tutorials • SMS Workflows|