GMS:MODFLOW Solution Properties Dialog
The data in this dialog come from the "*._os", "*._ww", "*._r", and "*._w" files computed by the MODFLOW observation process. The computation from MODFLOW will include any observed flows combined with the observed heads to calculate a single error value. In a transient model, the error value includes all of the observations at the various times. The error shown in this dialog is different from the error found in the Error Summary plot.
Descriptions of different error values
- Mean Residual – Average error for the observations. This can be misleading because the positive and negative errors can cancel.
- Mean Absolute Residual – Mean of the absolute error values for the observations. This is a true mean, not allowing positive and negative errors to cancel.
- Root Mean Squared Residual – RMS is calculated by taking the average of the square of the errors for the observations and then taking its square root. This tends to give more weight to cases where a few extreme error values exist.
- Sum of Squared Weighted Residual – This is the error value that is minimized by a PEST run.
Point head observation errors
- Mean Residual (Head).
- Mean Absolute Residual (Head).
- Root Mean Squared Residual (Head).
Flow observation errors
- Mean Residual (Flow).
- Mean Absolute Residual (Flow).
- Root Mean Squared Residual (Flow).
Combined head and flow error values
- Mean Weighted Residual (Head+Flow).
- Mean Absolute Weighted Residual (Head+Flow).
- Root Mean Squared Weighted Residual (Head+Flow).
- Sum of Squared Weighted Residual (Head+Flow).
GMS – Groundwater Modeling System
|Modules:||2D Grid • 2D Mesh • 2D Scatter Point • 3D Grid • 3D Mesh • 3D Scatter Point • Boreholes • GIS • Map • Solid • TINs • UGrids|
|Models:||FEFLOW • FEMWATER • MODAEM • MODFLOW • MODPATH • mod-PATH3DU • MT3DMS • MT3D-USGS • PEST • PHT3D • RT3D • SEAM3D • SEAWAT • SEEP2D • T-PROGS • ZONEBUDGET|